I’m participating in Disciple Bible Study, a 34 week intensive. Every day, we have different readings (except on the seventh day…resting!). I have decided to document my initial noticings from a close reading of the scripture. Well, an attempt at a close reading.
Wow, what impactful words run throughout these verses. Here's my random thoughts...
- 38:1 - God of the whirlwind (haven't we all been there?)
- 38:4 - God of sarcasm?
- 38:7 - Heavenly beings, the notes say it is really translated "Sons of God." Does that change the meaning? Adam was a Son of God.
- 38:8, 29 - God's womb. Mother God.
- 38:23 - Snow and hail for the "time of trouble"
- 39:17 - God made the ostrich forget wisdom. Poor ostrich!
- 39:19-25 - What is up with all the horse imagery? Some cultural homework needs to be done here.
- 40:15 - Behemoth - what the heck is this?
- 40:19 - What is the first of God's great acts? Creation? Or the first day of creation?
- 41 - Lots of stuff about the Crocodile (Leviathan)
- 41:9, 25 - references other gods
- 41:33-34 - the Crocodile is the King. Let's think about this for a while.