I'm participating in Disciple Bible Study, a 34 week intensive. Every day, we have different readings (except on the seventh day...resting!). I have decided to document my initial noticings from a close reading of the scripture. Well, an attempt at a close reading.
Week 2, Reading 1: Genesis 1:1-2:3
- v. 20: I notice that fish come before birds and before other beasties. Was this a fishing culture?
- v. 26: Regarding the word adam. It means humankind. It means 'mud-man.' It means earth. When did it first become a proper name?
- v. 27: "male and female he created them" means there are two images of God here
- v. 28: What if fruitful in "be fruitful and multiply" means something along the lines as spelled out in Christian scripture? Be gentle, patient, etc.
- v. 30: The green plants are given to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the air and to everything that creeps, etc. Not just to humans. How does that change our approach to the earth?