I’m participating in Disciple Bible Study, a 34 week intensive. For five days, we have different readings. I have decided to document my initial noticings from a close reading of the scripture. Well, an attempt at a close reading.
Week 12 Theme: God Restores the People
Readings: Jeremiah 30-33
- 30:7 – steadfast G*d
- 30:11 – oh yay.
- 30:12 – oh. yay. again.
- 30:15 – G*d inflicts pain
- 31:3 – but G*d loves you anyway
- 31:9 – I don't understand why Ephraim is the first born
- 31:11 – the work has been done, Israel is ransomed
- 31:31-33 – another "new" covenant
- 32:8 – Jeremiah buys a field. Really? Shows hope/promise of returning to their land.
- 33:6 – G*d the healer
- 33:8 – G*d the forgiver
- 33:17-22 – Christians take seriously the promise that a Davidic descendent will be on the throne, but they ignore the idea of this man's brother also being raised up.