I’m participating in Disciple Bible Study, a 34 week intensive. For five days, we have different readings. I have decided to document my initial noticings from a close reading of the scripture. Well, an attempt at a close reading.
Week 12 Theme: God Punishes the People
Readings: Isaiah 51-53
- 51:6 – G*d is inviting us to get up to the balcony view of life. So important to examine things by taking a step back.
- 51:20 – sad that the children are the ones that are in trouble
- 51:22 – but it's over! Hallelujah!
- 52:8-10 – beautiful vision. Reminds me of the song "the Hills are Alive with the Sound of Music."
- 53:4-6 – atonement theology in spades. Israel is the one that must pay the price to reconcile the people to G*d.
- 53:9 – really? no violence and no deceit? Moses, Israel, Jerusalem? Who are we talking about? Moses and Israel/Jerusalem are all guilty of violence, at least.