I’m participating in Disciple Bible Study, a 34 week intensive. For five days, we have different readings. I have decided to document my initial noticings from a close reading of the scripture. Well, an attempt at a close reading.
Week 11 Theme: God Punishes the People
Readings: Jeremiah 37-39
- 37:5 – Another example of Egypt v. Babylon struggle. Who to follow? Where will protection come from?
- 37:14 – Jeremiah is pro Babylon (sort of) so it is easy to understand why people might think he was deserting to the Chaldeans
- 37:16-21 – Jeremiah put into the cistern house and King Zedekiah ends up giving orders that Jeremiah should be fed.
- 38:4 – want to kill Jeremiah because he is discouraging to the soldiers. I bet! He wants them to give in to the forces of King Nebuchadnezzar. What soldier wants to hear that?
- 38:12 – it is so interesting when these little details pop up
- 38:22 – who are the trusted friends?
- 39:3 – Jerusalem taken
- 39:6 – the same as 2 Kings 25:7. Zedekiah's sons killed and Z.'s eyes poked out. (Don't run with sticks?)
- 39:12 – King Nebuchadnezzar taking care of Jeremiah
- 39:16 – G*d the author of evil