I’m participating in Disciple Bible Study, a 34 week intensive. For five days, we have different readings. I have decided to document my initial noticings from a close reading of the scripture. Well, an attempt at a close reading.
Week 11 Theme: God Punishes the People
Readings: Jeremiah 8, 19, 24, 27
- 8:3 – death is preferable to living life in the remnant
- 8:10 – G*d willing to give the wives to the conquerors. oh. yay. But here it also says that everybody from prophet to priests is at fault.
- 8:14-17 – G*d seems pretty mean.
- 18:18-22 – Jeremiah's heart is torn. Poor guy.
- 19:5 – direct reference to child sacrifice having become a practice of the Judah-ites. Which G*d "didn't command or decree, nor did it enter my mind!"
- 19:10 – Judah to become like a broken jug
- 24:4-8 – here we are defining who a good Judah-ite is v. a bad one. The good ones go into exile. The bad ones are the remnant. True Judah-iteTM
- 27:6 – King Nebuchadnezzar is G*d's servant
- 27:22 – ends with hope