I’m participating in Disciple Bible Study, a 34 week intensive. For five days, we have different readings. I have decided to document my initial noticings from a close reading of the scripture. Well, an attempt at a close reading.
Week 10 Theme: God Warns the People
Readings: Amos 5-9
- 5:7 – Turn justice to wormwood. Wait…I've heard wormwood before. Where? Ahha! (Gotta love Bible software). It is the star in the Revelation to John of Patmos.
- 5:18 – The day of the Lord is mentioned. What does this mean? My notes say it is a reference to a coming event which may be a triumphant battle day (against one of those groups that were attacking the Israelites) or a coming festival day.
- 5:24 – "let justice roll down like waters and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream." Lovely.
- 6:4-7 – The rich, indolent folks will not be happy!
- 6:12 – Justice turned to wormwood.
- 7:1 – Locusts are coming! (Making me think of Revelation again). Just a note: I don't think we should read backwards into the Hebrew scriptures. However, we can read Hebrew scripture and pull it forward to get a richer, more complex view of Christian scripture writings.
- 7:9 – Jeroboam again! He's like the boogie man!
- 8:4-6 – AWESOME. I wish someone would shout this from the mountain tops today. Like our CHURCH LEADERS. By the way, verse 6, selling the sweepings of wheat. The wheat is supposed to be left in the fields so the poor can pick up the sweepings and feed themselves, so to speak. What if every crop in the U.S. left 5% for the poor? Interesting thought. Or if every grocery store let those in poverty come into the store and take the leftover produce/meat?
- 8:9 – Sun darkening…apocalyptic!
- 9:1-15 – But even though everybody is messing up, G*d will not destroy the kingdom.