I’m participating in Disciple Bible Study, a 34 week intensive. For five days, we have different readings. I have decided to document my initial noticings from a close reading of the scripture. Well, an attempt at a close reading.
Week 10 Theme: God Warns the People
Readings: 1 Kings 16:29-19:18
- 16:29 – Ahab reigning over Israel
- 16:31 – significant that Ahab is compared to Jeroboam who was the leader of the Northern Kingdom
- 16:31 – marries Jezebel (and I wonder how many other wives!)
- 17 – Elijah leaves because G*d tells him to. Will be fed by the ravens. Then by the widow. I am wondering if this is a metaphor for G*d's relationship with Israel. The prophets/G*d leaves the land and are barely kept alive but return and bring life anew to Israel, the bride/widow's children?
- 18:17 – Ahab didn't much like Elijah
- 18:20 – Calls out Israel for following two G*d's
- 18:31 – Elijah takes 12 stones to create the fire. The widow feeds Elijah / the twelve feed the fire / G*d returns
- 19 – But Jezebel is still around and she is pissed!
- 19:11-12 – A very favorite verse. G*d is in the sheer silence. How counter-cultural!
- 19:18 – A remnant left in Israel. Those who have no worshiped / intermingled with the Baal-worshipers like those Northern tribe people!