Post 3 in the Crystallize Meaning through Creativity: An Advent Event
Scripture: Psalm 122:6b-9
Please offer a link to your Advent Reflection using Mr. Linky. Or you can leave a reflection via the comments.
I Didn't Want to Move
by Pastor David Orendorff, Bear Creek United Methodist Church
I didn’t want to move. In fact, ever entering the ranks of itinerant United Methodist Ministers in 1977 I haven’t wanted to move. But this time was worse. I had been with a congregation for 16 years. I had officiated at the weddings of my youth and later baptized their children. Together we had done some significant, some brave, some foolish, some profound ministry. We had great times and hard times, but always wonderful times. After years of effort, Vickie had finally established herself as a first grade teacher in the school district. But now, the Bishop said, I had to move.
But as usual, God knew more than I knew and I should have just been happy to have such good memories because it turned I had to move not because of the Bishop, but because:
- Vickie would develop breast cancer and need the care she could get in Seattle but not in Montana
- My mom would move in with us to discover that she had a heart problem and a tumor on her liver that could be well treated in Seattle but not in Wyoming
- My daughters would move to Seattle and we would have been left far behind
- Our granddaughters have us close in the midst of divorce
- And last but not least, the sailing is sooooooo much better here than in the lakes of Montana
So now when I move, though I still have the human inclination to whine, I look forward to the gifts God has in store for me; gifts I didn’t know I wanted but discover I need. The Christ comes to us even in when we don’t want to move.
Shalom, Dave O
“May they prosper who love you.
7 Peace be within your walls,
and security within your towers.”
8 For the sake of my relatives and friends
I will say, “Peace be within you.”
9 For the sake of the house of the Lord our God,
I will seek your good."
(c) 2013, David Orendorff